Each month the Team G Pediatric Cancer Foundation holds a fundraiser for pediatric cancer. Since the founders of the Foundation are CrossFitters, and members of CrossFit West Santa Cruz, the fundraiser is a WOD. Each WOD is created and named in honor of a child who is battling cancer (Warrior), survived cancer (Survivor), or succumbed to cancer (Angel). This month Team G is honoring Gabriella, for whom the Foundation is named. The fundraisers are called “Fight for Gold”. The “Fight for Gold” challenge is completed on the 7th day of every month, honoring the 7 children that lose their battle with cancer every day. The concept behind the challenge is pretty simple, but very important. It aims to honor those children and tell their story in the hope to motivate people to get involved in the fight against pediatric cancer and to raise funds to battle it.
Since Gabriella and her parents Adam and Kristin are members of our CrossFit, and thus family, we are officially devoting every 7th of December to Gabriella and her special WOD. When you are charging through it, please think of her and the thousands of other children who are battling cancer, survived it, or sadly did neither.
If you are interested in the Team G Foundation, more information can be found here.
On a completely different note, I can’t wait to see CrossFit West, in all its very fit and good looking glory, at the Holiday Party tonight. It’s going to be an awesome time.
A huge Happy Birthday to Matt Zarzuela (aka Z, Matt Z, Zarz, Zarzy). Matt is finally out of his teens and is now 20 years old. A man, an adult, a grown-up. Well, kind of sort of.
Happy Birthday buddy! I think your goal for this year should be to get strong.
Holiday Party!!!!!- this Saturday.
“There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.”
Rest In Peace
Tomorrow is the inaugural Fight Club at CrossFit West Santa Cruz. Want to get down and dirty in a quick little comp, winner takes all? Fight Club is a monthly throwdown at West that, in true CrossFit fashion, will vary each month. Sometimes it will be individual, other times with a partner or team. Sometimes it might be a couple WODs or lifts, other times just one. The comp kicks off at 6:30, so get there early and warm up.
CrossFit West Fight Club
Thursday, December 5th, 6:30pm
Restrictions: None (individual event, open to all levels)
Rules of Fight Club:
1) Don’t talk about Fight Club.
2) Don’t be a dick.
3) Show up, pay $5, go hard, winner of each division takes all.
4) Warm-up on your own time, show up early if you need to. Event start time is WOD start time, be prepared.
5) Count your own reps, there are no judges… Get caught cheating? Public shame, permanent exile.
6) Each date will have it’s own prerequisites: some dates are open to all, some are Rx’d only, others are individual, some are couples/teams, maybe a women’s only, perhaps a masters… who knows? we’ll see. Check event date announcement for specifics and restrictions.
7) Fight Club is short, we all got jobs and s$%t to do – 60-90 minutes in total length, 1-2 events.
8) Don’t be a dick.
9) Don’t talk about Fight Club.
Questions? Send email to: email@example.com
The normal 6:30 class at CrossFit West is canceled, so if you aren’t doing Fight Club, please get to the gym earlier.
Workout (not the Fight Club WOD):